Only those who don’t read the news or follow trends in social media can say they don’t know Malia Obama. If your father and mother are two of the most popular people in the world, you naturally feed off that popularity. Malia Obama is the oldest of Barack and Michelle Obama’s two children.
With the kind of influence that comes with being the daughter of a former president of America, she will no doubt do something amazing with that influence one day. Let’s get to know her better.
Who Is Malia Obama?
While we are all largely familiar with her foundations as the daughter of the most popular U.S. president in modern history, Malia Ann Obama was born on July 4, 1998, in Boston, Massachusetts, and celebrates her birthday along with the American Independence Day.
At her father’s inauguration on January 20, 2009, Malia Obama and her sister Sasha were the first African-American firstborns in the history of the United States. Loved and adored by millions, the world has watched them grow from child to adult. In 2014, Time Magazine named them one of the 100 most influential people in the world.
Those who wonder what Malia means would be happy to know that it means queen. Her name was inspired by her father, who wanted her name to have an Arab/African root.
When the family lived in Chicago, Malia Obama attended the University of Chicago Laboratory School. As a child, she also studied theater and dance, but she took an early interest in sports, playing soccer, tennis, and running. Her interest in soccer grew, but her mother Michelle directed her toward volleyball because of her size.
When her father became president and the family moved to Washington, D.C., Malia joined the Sidwell Friends School, a private school in Washington attended by the children of many influential men and women in the political history of the United States, including the Clintons, Nixons, Roosevelts, and Bidens. At her new school, she served as treasurer of the student council before becoming vice president in her first year and later class president. Her education and contact with celebrity life were further deepened by spending part of her summers 2014/2015 in television studios in New York and Los Angeles.
As an athlete, she played as an outside bet for the volleyball team, as a point guard for the basketball team, and was also a member of the tennis team.
After high school, Malia Obama traveled a little and did an internship at the US Embassy in Spain. In autumn 2017, the former first daughter began studying at Harvard University.
Sister – Sasha Obama
Malia has a close relationship with her sister Sasha, who is only three years younger than her. Sasha, who was born on June 10, 2001, grew up in the spotlight, similar to her sister. The two sisters love to do everything together. After moving from Chicago to Washington DC, they both attended Sidwell Friends School together.
They were even both named by Time Magazine as two of the 30 most influential teenagers in 2014 and 2015.
Who Is Her Boyfriend?
Malia Obama is currently dating her Harvard student Rory Farquharson, a British rugby player. Rory Farquharson comes from a wealthy family and also has connections with the British royal family. The couple has made a strong showing despite the great media interest.
Being the daughter of Barack Obama has its own perks, and for Malia, it means access to many great jobs. Her current net worth is estimated at around 250,000 dollars. In 2018 she was one of the 10 highest paid heirs of People with Money.
Other Facts About Malia Obama
1. Malia Obama wants to become a photographer and filmmaker.
2. She is loved by the media, and it is not hard to understand why. In 2014 she was named one of the 50 most beautiful people in the world by People’s magazine. According to Google, Malia Obama is the second most googled celebrity in the world.
3. Malia Obama is not only glamorous but she also regularly engages in charity work. She set up an eBay account where she auctions off old clothes to raise money for the Children’s National Medical Center. Not only that, but she also lends her voice and image to various charity projects.
4. In 2017 she completed an internship for Harvey Weinstein at the Weinstein Company film studio in New York.
5. During her high school years, she won two volleyball championships, three basketball titles, several tennis championships, and became the third woman in Washington D.C. history to be named Gatorade Player of the Year in two different sports. She is second in the history of Washington D.C. in volleyball kills, number two in the history of the state in basketball assists, and ended her tennis career with a 67-5 record. Pretty impressive, huh?